Don’t be that Guy… Yeah, THAT guy
I’m a patient person by most people’s standards. I try to be easy-going, understanding, and positive but someone’s gotta put their foot down and put a chokehold on THAT guy.
You’ve seen THOSE guys, not to be confused with #usguys, in action. Regular spam methods just aren’t good enough for that guy(or girl). That guy has to sauté it, bread it, and deep fry it before personally delivering it to your newsfeeds and timelines. That guy goes above and beyond to make you feel uncomfortable, annoyed, and suspicious of their motives. I’ve always been of the opinion that relationships are a two way street and deals should be made based on a win-win premise… but those guys obviously see it differently.
So this is going to be short and simple – if you value the meaningful relationships that develop through social media, pay attention.
DON’T BE THAT GUY WHO
- Creates a Facebook group for the sole purpose of promoting their own agenda, and then add their whole friend list to be part of it.
- Suggest I like your Facebook page if you don’t know me or never had a meaningful conversation with me
- Contest and Charitable causes aside, perpetually asks for likes and/or retweets; it looks desperate
- Snatches someone else’s photo, status, or infographic and front as if it’s your own
- Doesn’t respond to commenters or reply to tweeters because you’re worried about your Klout score
- Drops into a tweet chat, talk it up like you actually participate, and then bounce 5 minutes later
- Talks smack behind peoples back; social circles are too tight knit, they’ll find out.
Wow, I feel 132% better now that I’ve got that off my chest.
Please help and add to the list. What else does THAT guy do that annoys the hell out of you? Was I wrong/overly lame on any of the above examples?